Whether you are a professional videographer or just love to capture your surroundings with your phone camera, you find yourself sending large video files, all the time.
Earlier, the best way to share a high-resolution video was to save it on a hard drive or USB stick and send it to the recipient. When it was not feasible, you had to compress the file and send it via email. But what’s the point of having the latest iPhone or Android set if you have to send the videos in low quality?
Thankfully, technology has made it possible to share high-resolution videos quickly without compromising quality. However, remember that some video files formats are more suitable for sending online than the others.
Here are the 3 easiest ways to share high-resolution video files online.
WhatsApp – The Most Used Messenger App
WhatsApp is the most popular messenger app, with about 2.2 billion active users worldwide. Most possibly, your recipients also have the app installed on their phones, and it is intuitive to use the app to send videos to them. There is a catch, though. WhatsApp has a limit of 16 MB file size for videos. WhatsApp is also known for drastically compressing your image and video files.
However, there is a roundabout way you ditch this limitation of WhatsApp. Instead of sending your large video files as media, send them as documents. In 2022, WhatsApp increased the size limit to 2 GB (earlier, it was 100 MB) per transfer.
Here’s how to send videos on WhatsApp without losing the original high-quality:
- Open WhatsApp
- Open the chat with the recipient to who you want to share the video
- Tap the paperclip icon at the bottom right corner of the screen
- Click documents and go to Browse other docs
- Tap the three parallel lines at the top right corner of the screen and go to Videos
- Now click on the video and confirm sending
- Open the video you want to share and click the upload icon on the bottom left corner of your iPhone screen
- Tap on the Save to Files option and save it in any folder you want
- Now open WhatsApp and go to the chat where you want to send the video
- Tap on the Plus icon in the bottom left corner and choose the Document
- Select the video you want to send and tap on the send icon
Remember, the recipient cannot view the video in-app. They need to download the file on their phone to watch it.
Using Bigg.ly – A Secure File-Sharing Platform
If your video file is larger than 2 GB, the above method won’t work. Here, file-sharing platforms like Bigg.ly come to your rescue. These file transfer services are specifically designed for sharing large files. Some of them allow you to send files up to a certain limit without opening an account. With Bigg.ly, you can send up to 4GB per transfer as a guest user.
Many file-sharing services are available in the market. Before choosing one, make sure the platform employs the latest security measures to keep your video files safe.
One of the best things about these services is that you do not need to think about whether the recipient has the same device as you or whether they have access to any particular app.
Here’s how you can send a large video file to multiple recipients at once. We describe the method for Bigg.ly, but it is quite similar for all the file-sharing platforms.
- Go to Bigg.ly
- Drop the files at the designated space or click to add the files from your device
- Choose the files you want to send and click open
- In the Email to the field, write the desired email addresses separated by a comma
- Put your email address in the next line
- Write a message in the message if you want to
- Click on the I agree to the Terms and Conditions and hit the send button
Using Google Drive – Cloud Storage
The third method we recommend is sending your large video files using Google Drive. You may also consider using other cloud storage for sending large video files online without losing quality.
Here’s how to send large video files using Google Drive.
- Login to your Google Drive account
- Click on New, located on the left corner of the screen
- Click on the File upload from the drop-down menu
- Choose the files you want to send and click Open
- Once the file is uploaded, click on Recent from the left panel
- Your files should appear at the top of the list
- Right-click on the file you want to share and add the email addresses of the recipients
- Write an optional message and click send
- You can also copy the link and send it to the intended recipients via email or a messenger app
- Go to your Google Drive and click on the plus icon in the bottom-right corner
- Tap on Upload and select the files you want to send
- Browse your drive to find the file you uploaded
- Click on the three horizontal dots at the right of the file
- Tap share and add the email addresses
- Click on the send icon on the top right corner of the screen
The process of sending a large file via Google Drive is similar on iPhone.
All the above methods are considered safe. Depending on your preferences, you can choose any of these methods to send high-resolution video files online without losing quality.